A NCTS transit document is required when transporting goods that are under customs supervision. Customs transport is a customs regulation set by the European Union that makes it possible to transport (non-)union goods within the EU. Products that arrived in Rotterdam for example, can be transported in transit to any location within the European Union. But the goods can also be transited to / from / through countries outside the European, like Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Turkey, Macedonia and, since February 2016, Serbia.

Under this regulation, goods don’t have to be cleared at every border and can be transported to their intended destination. But they do require the correct NCTS document.

When to use which document

For shipping within the European Union, a T1 document is needed. The great advantage of this document is that taxes, such as import duties and VAT, don’t have to be paid immediately after the goods have entered the EU.

A T2 document is needed when community goods (commodities of EU origin or non-community goods that have been cleared) are transported through or to the countries mentioned above that aren’t members of the European Union. For example, a transport to Italy through Switzerland or an export to Norway where customs clearance isn’t done at the border but at the intended destination.

When drafting a transit, it’s important to have the required customs permit. As a recognised customs broker, we are in possession of these permits.

Having a transit drafted

If you’re in need of a transit document, please feel free to contact us. As a customs broker, we can take care of the T-document for you on location. You can contact us Monday to Friday from 7 AM to 9 PM and and from 10 AM to 2 PM on Saturdays. You can reach us by calling +31 (0) 76 596 49 21, by sending an email to or by filling out the contact form. We are more than happy to help you with the right documents.